[ovs-discuss] ovs-vswitchd grab all the memory during start up

John Wei johntwei at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 19:44:26 UTC 2016

I was trying to run multiple copies of ovs-vswitchd on different containers
on the same host. But, I was not able start them in parallel because they
all seem to try to grab all the available memory in the beginning, even I
have specified --socket-mem parameter. Is there a work around for this?

If I started 2nd ovs-vswitchd after first one is up, release unneeded
memory, then I was able to bring up both.

Information on my environment:

AnonHugePages:    161792 kB
HugePages_Total:    8192        <-- that is 16 GB
HugePages_Free:     7936        <--- each vswitchd used 128 pages
HugePages_Rsvd:        0
HugePages_Surp:        0
Hugepagesize:       2048 kB

On my 2 core machines, I started vswitched with limit of 256MB

--socket-mem 128,128

It appears that vswitchd look at that HugePages_Free parameter, grab all
that free memory, then reduce to the limit specified in  --socket-mem option

John