[ovs-discuss] OVS QoS Types

Fabian Schörghofer fabian.schoerghofer at salzburgresearch.at
Wed Mar 23 10:15:58 UTC 2016

I want to create QoS flows.

The examples on the Internet that I can find realize this by using the
type=linux-htb in the creation, like the command below:

ovs-vsctl set port p1p1 qos=@newqos -- --id=@newqos create qos
type=linux-htb other-config:max-rate=1000000000 queues:1=@eth04queue1
queues:2=@eth04queue2 -- --id=@eth04queue1 create queue
other-config:max-rate=10000000 -- --id=@eth04queue2 create queue
other-config:max-rate=20000000

This will create a HTB scheduler as can be seen from this:

5: p1p1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc htb
state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
     link/ether 68:05:ca:39:da:bc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

What other schedulers can I use for type? I want to use the pfifo_fast
scheduler, but when I enter the first command with type=pfifo_fast or
type=linux-pfifo_fast the result from ip link show will not change.

This leads me to believe that type=pfifo_fast or linux-pfifo_fast has no
effect.

On some Linux versions pfifo_fast is the default queueing mechanism,
some newer versions use mq, but that might not be relevant here.

Is it documented somewhere what strings I can use for those mechanisms?

Best Regards
Fabian