[ovs-discuss] IVSHMEM device performance

Kavanagh, Mark B mark.b.kavanagh at intel.com
Wed Mar 30 14:07:23 UTC 2016

Hi Eli,

I'm curious as to why you want to use IVSHMEM devices in a setup like this - the whole point of IVSHMEM devices is that the same memory is shared between host and guest, such that mbufs can be passed directly between rings 'zero-copy', thus side-stepping the performance penalties inherent in memcpy.

Perhaps a vhost-user device would better suit your needs?

Thanks,
Mark