[ovs-discuss] ovn_l3: should vm get replies from pings to router interface (of non-local subnet)?

Flaviof flavio at flaviof.com
Tue May 3 20:02:39 UTC 2016

[cc Justin]

Hello OVS/OVN folks,

Using devstack and a slightly modified version of the local.conf.sample [1],
I create an all-in-one node with OVN.

After stacking, I run a simple script [2] (attached) that creates 2
internal subnet+networks and a OVN-L3 router with interfaces on each one of
them.

It then creates a vm in each network, which makes it look like this:

vm1 ---- net1 ---- rtr ---- net2 ---- vm2
    10.1.0.x                         10.2.0.x

The script adds an internal port to connect to net1 [br-int], so we get to
vm1
w/out relying on dhcp namespace. With that, I can ping from vm1 to vm2 and
also the interface of rtr on net1. However, I cannot ping [3] the
rtr interface on
net2 (i.e. 10.2.0.1) from vm1 (i.e. 10.1.0.3).

Is that expected to work? I will dig into the flow rules to see if this is
a known
limitation, but would like to ask you guys to avoid wasting too much
energy. :)
I do understand that special rules have to be added so icmp replies
[table17]
are sent on behalf of the router interface. There was a similar issue [4] in
ODL, which made some L3 tempest tests fail. It is possible that is the case
still.

Thanks,

-- flaviof

[1]: https://gist.github.com/4d4bd6c94ace63785e9fff8b64ac135b