[ovs-discuss] how the controller messages are delivered to the switch in in-band control network

张云 rlzhangyun at 163.com
Tue May 10 08:36:44 UTC 2016

Hi,
    I try to measure the control flow impact on Open vSwitch performance while using in-band connections.So in this task I need to count the messages sent from controller to every switch in the network that uses in-band control.I've created an example topology using mininet and this article: http://tocai.dia.uniroma3.it/compunet-wiki/index.php/In-band_control_with_Open_vSwitch
   The topology contains 5 switches connected one-by-one (as show on the first picture of the article).The controller is launched on the h3 host. In my case the Floodlight controller is used. And all is pingable.
   So when I try to sniff the traffic on s1 ... s5 interfaces, I see that OpenFlow messages (PacketIn, PacketOut etc) appear only on the s3 interface. On other interface I don't see any TCP or OpenFlow packets.
   The question is how the controller installs new flows on s1, s2, s4, s5 switches and why only s3 can see OpenFlow messages? And how the controller messages are delivered to the switch that is not directly connected to controller?

Thanks.