[ovs-discuss] OVS jumbo frame support for DPDK port types

Jim LOZANOVSKI jim.lozanovski at ericsson.com
Wed May 11 13:25:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am working on a lab environment with OVS and DPDK attempting to get Jumbo frames and mbuf initialisation working, for DPDK port types only, with the current OVS master (testing with commit hash of 5d24608388bcf5610018cb51369adc2e6f3816e1) and the DPDK 16.04 release.

I have come across the development of supporting Jumbo frames with OVS with these patches:

[ovs-dev,V5,1/2] netdev-dpdk: clean up mbuf initialization - https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/585153/
[ovs-dev,V5,2/2] netdev-dpdk: add jumbo frame support - https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/585154/

Part 1 of the patch set is now part of the mainline code. As I understand, patch 2 will not be upstreamed as it stands and is waiting upon further patchsets to allow runtime modification of netdev properties, such as MTU, as discussed here http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2016-February/066940.html

I would be interested in testing jumbo frame support with the current OVS master and DPDK versions mentioned, however patch 2/2 fails to apply successfully with the latest OVS code. Is there a later version of the jumbo patch that can be shared with the current OVS code?

Thanks, Jim