[ovs-discuss] interested in ovs gre tunneling implement

Willy Chen ccps960718456 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 15:52:53 UTC 2016

Hello,

I want to know about how OVS to deal with gre tunnel,
What things OVS doing when packet send out through tunnel?
And when VM2's eth0 receive the packet, what happened in the vm2 ?

If I have 2 switch in vm2, and they tunnel to vm1 with different key,
when h1 ping h2, why ovs can transfer packet to h2, how did it knows ?

I have the following topology,
There is 1 host, 1 switch in a vm,
and connect 2 vm each other by gre tunnel

-------setting-------
vm1's IP: 10.1.1.1
vm2's IP: 10.1.1.2
host1's IP: 10.0.0.1
host2's IP: 10.0.0.2
---------------------

The way I tried is:

vm1:
    ovs-vsctl add-port sw1 gre00 -- set interface gre00 type=gre
vm2:
    ovs-vsctl add-port sw2 gre00 -- set interface gre00 type=gre

+------------------------------------+
+------------------------------------+
|                                    |
|                                    |
|   +-----------+                    |  |
+-----------+                    |
|   | docker at h1 +------+             |  |   | docker at h2
+------+             |
|   +-----------+      |             |  |   +-----------+
|             |
|                      |             |  |
|             |
|              +---+---+---+---+     |  |
+---+---+---+---+     |
|              |   |  sw1  |   |     |  |              |   |  sw2  |
|     |
|              |   +-------+   |     |  |              |   +-------+
|     |
|              |      OVS      |     |  |              |      OVS
|     |
|              +-------X-------+     |  |
+-------X-------+     |
|                      X             |  |
X             |
|        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX             |  |
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX             |
|   |  eth0  |             VM1       |  |   |  eth0  |
VM2       |
                       GRE Tunnel

Thanks for your help !!