[ovs-discuss] hardware vtep handling of ARP

Michael Kashin mmkashin at gmail.com
Mon May 16 01:46:30 UTC 2016

I'm using Openstack's L2gw plugin to configure cumulus VX switch. I can get
my VM to ping the "baremetal" IP connected to cumulus's switchport.
However, the reverse doesn't quite work. When my baremetal IP sends an ARP
for MAC of the VM it doesn't get a response. Is hw vtep OVS supposed to
respond to ARP locally?
Here's the simplified version of how OVSDB was provisioned by the
Openstack's L2gw agent:
Mcast_Macs_Local table:
unknown-dst -> Locator Set "X"
Physical_Locator_Set table:
Locator_set "X" -> Locator [Y]
Physical_Locator table:
Locator "Y" -> dst_ip "Z",
where dst_ip "Z" is the local VTEP IP (loopback interface on cumulus VX)