[ovs-discuss] Does ovs support interface in the (wifi) ad-hoc mode ?

Benoit benoitne at gmail.com
Tue May 17 05:48:07 UTC 2016

Hi Ahmed,

Not sure if it is related to your issue, but I have a similar issue when
I try to attach a WLAN NIC to OVS (when it is not used as a AP).
I sent this mail to the list last month but I don't have any reply back.

Hi,

I have been using hostapd and openvswitch patch on my server side for a
year with no issue.
I am wondering if there is any patch for wpa_supplicant and openvswitch
for my client side?

In fact, when I try to add my wireless port into openvswtich bridge I
don't have any error but I am not able to retrieve any IP address and I
am pretty sure a similar issue patched in hostapd side.

Many thanks,

So I confirm that when the WLAN NIC is connected as an AP (with hostapd)
it is working very well (in the past I needed a patch but not anymore at
least for the Parabola/Archlinux where they compile OVS with the patch
included).

But on my laptop with OVS running, if I put my WLAN NIC on the bridge I
am not able to communicate anymore, no error but no traffic either...