[ovs-discuss] replicated multicast traffic

Xu (Simon) Chen xchenum at gmail.com
Thu May 19 03:59:54 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have an openstack setup using ml2/ovs/vxlan. While sending multicast
traffic on one VM, I am seeing packets being replicated to many
hypervisors via VXLAN tunnels, although I only have a couple of
receiver VMs on a couple of hypervisors. Is this expected?

I set mcast_snooping_enable=true for br-int and br-tun bridges.
Haven't looked into this part of OVS in detail, I am wondering if OVS
can "learn" where the receivers are and therefore do not replicate
multicast packets everywhere.

Thanks.
-Simon