[ovs-discuss] openflow related question

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Mon Nov 14 03:52:35 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 10:51:48AM +0800, sundk wrote:
> 1. is there any plans for ovs to support of1.5?

OVS supports several OF1.5 features already.  Generally, we rely on
developers to contribute the features that they want.

> 2. in of, flow entry will expire according to the idle timeout or hard
> timeout, but meter table and group table don't, why of design like
> this?

I don't remember anyone in the OpenFlow design group proposing timeouts
for these tables.  Perhaps it is rarely useful.

> 3. in action set, action must be execute following a fixed order, why
> of design like this?

The OpenFlow specification says so.  I think the reason is simply that
it's hard to figure out how the actions should say themselves where they
go in sequence.  Also, perhaps hardware has limitations in this area.

> 4. for ovs code, I find that for meter table, ovs only support
> protocol parser and encode/decode, but not support meter function. is
> there any plans for ovs to fully support meter?

A few patch series have been posted, but no one has finished the
support.  Several people have asked about this feature, so if you want
to work on this, then I think users would be grateful.