[ovs-discuss] Monitoring OVS metrics statistics using sFlow

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at inmon.com
Tue Nov 15 19:51:34 UTC 2016

> On Nov 15, 2016, at 11:34 AM, Neeldhwaj Pathak via discuss <ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org> wrote:
>
> sFlow provides us the cache hit, miss, lost, etc numbers as well as the cpu usage statistics. And this is for the host running the ovs not for individual bridge or the interface of the ovs.
>
> Also, the command 'ovs-vsctl list interface' provides us the interface details which includes the statistics details too which contains the following metrics;
> statistics          : {collisions=0, rx_bytes=0, rx_crc_err=0, rx_dropped=0, rx_errors=0, rx_frame_err=0, rx_over_err=0, rx_packets=0, tx_bytes=5118, tx_dropped=0, tx_errors=0, tx_packets=53}
>
> And this is provided per interface basis.
>
> My question is why these statistics are not included by sflow pollers. So that the combined metrics is provided by the sflow. Or is there some fundamental thing which I am missing so that I am asking such question?

The OVS sFlow agent does create pollers for each virtual and physical ethernet interface associated with the bridges that it is monitoring. What command did you use to enable sFlow? You need to include the bridges you want to monitor in the configuration command:

http://openvswitch.org/support/config-cookbooks/sflow/ <http://openvswitch.org/support/config-cookbooks/sflow/>

Is sounds like you would like to get a comprehensive set of metrics from the host. Have you looked at the Host sFlow agent (sflow.net <http://sflow.net/>)? It has a driver that will automatically configure sFlow on OVS as well as exporting an extensive set of statics from the host, hypervisor, VMs, containers, etc.:

http://www.sflow.net/host-sflow-linux-config.php <http://www.sflow.net/host-sflow-linux-config.php>

sflowtool is the easiest way to see the sFlow export and verify that the data is correct:

https://github.com/sflow/sflowtool <https://github.com/sflow/sflowtool>