[ovs-discuss] Replacing IPsec-GRE tunnel ports

Bolesław Tokarski boleslaw.tokarski at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 21:31:32 UTC 2016

Hi, Ansis,

I've got a performance problem with my setup - I've got 1Mbps speed
reported by iperf3, while the physical link is 1Gbps. As you seem to be the
only one using StrongSwan with OVS around, you are my only hope :]

So - two physical hosts, running OpenSUSE 42.1, with kernel 4.1.34,
StrongSwan 5.2.2, OVS 2.3.3 (with your strongswan ovs patch). Tunnel
established with ipsec_gre port on ipv4, connection established with
StrongSwan, MTU on interfaces set to 1400. iperf3 between host interfaces.

I managed to narrow down the scope of the 1Mbps speed issue to StrongSwan
IPsec+GRE+OVS+VLAN tagging. Without VLAN tags I achieve 885Mbps. With
Racoon+GRE+OVS+VLAN tagging I also get ~870-880 Mbps.

Did you happen to test StrongSwan with OVS and VLAN tagging with regards to
performance?

I can provide you with more details if you'd like to replicate the issue,
but perhaps that's something you have seen already?

Best regards,
Bolesław Tokarski