[ovs-discuss] [ovn] router port type for logical port

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Tue Nov 22 22:47:02 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 08:56:10AM -0800, Murali R wrote:
> I am trying to attach ovn logical port to an openstack L3 router.
> When creating a logical port, there is an option "type" and has type
> "router".
> When attaching to non-ovn l3, can I still give the type as "router"?
> Because it is asking for name of logical_router_port and I think that is
> for an ovn l3. And if not specified as router type (blank type), and I
> attach the other end to a router, will the flows work properly?

The router type is meant only for connecting to an OVN logical router.
If you want to connect an OVN logical switch to something that is not an
OVN logical router, then you should use a different kind of port.  A vif
(blank type) might be appropriate, or you might want to use a localnet
port, depending on what your router does.