[ovs-discuss] Newbie at Openvswitch, some doubts

Justin Pettit jpettit at ovn.org
Thu Oct 6 23:00:54 UTC 2016

> On Oct 1, 2016, at 6:51 PM, Yagyesh Srivastava <ysrivas at ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am very new to openvswitch.
> I have a few doubts, would be great if someone can answer those.
>
> I know that Openvswitch has support for rate limiting the traffic on a particular port.
> Is there a way to rate limit the traffic on the basis of what application traffic it is?
>
> I guess openvswitch being at dataplane would not allow for DPI,
> so how can the OvS differentiate based on the 'Kind' of traffic that is being sent(If at all).
> If not, then would it be possible to do it using the controller somehow?

OVS doesn't have a way to look any deeper than the L2-L4 packet headers.  There's been some discussion and prototypes to provide that functionality, but nothing that's been merged.

There was a talk at last year's OVS Conference that might be of interest to you:

	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzUycajigu8

Here are Franck's slides:

	http://openvswitch.github.io/support/ovscon2015/16/1330-baudin.pptx

--Justin