[ovs-discuss] Traffic got stuck in a port

Valentine Sinitsyn valentine.sinitsyn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 11:11:29 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

We are observing strange OVS behavior in some of our setups.

Sometimes, the traffic just stops flowing through veth or tap interfaces
plugged into OVS bridge.

ovs-appctl ofproto/trace for sample packet show that OVS will output it
to the correct port, and we see real traffic in a mirror port we add to OVS.

This persists until one re-initializes the interface with ip link set
down && ip link set up. Then the traffic flow restores. Nothing changes
in OF flows as per ovs-ofctl dump-flows, except cookie value, which I
presume means OVS re-installed the flows. The OVS database remains the
same as well, except stats.

How can we debug this? I'm giving a high-level overview without any
details as I'm not seeking for the solution, just a way to find one. I'm
okay with OVS internals and diving into the kernel.

Many thanks,
Valentine Sinitsyn