[ovs-discuss] Encryption on wlan0 in OpenWRT

Curtis Taylor yamahabob28 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 14:55:05 UTC 2016

You may be facing the same problem I had in the past where OVS needs to be patched on OpenWrt for WPA authentication to work.

Patch at: https://github.com/helmut-jacob/hostapd/commit/c89daaeca4ee90c8bc158e37acb1b679c823d7ab#diff-165dd5a1681d9394993972f6923fddf8R153

OpenWrt post: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=59129

Summary from post: For anyone else encountering this issue, the solution is a patch to hostapd. The problem stems from hostapd expecting to only have wireless interfaces on the internal linux bridge. By moving the bridge to an OVS bridge, hostapd fails to see authentication packets. The patch causes hostapd to check/add interfaces to OVS before starting and removes them when it goes down.

Note the last comment on the forum that you need to update the hphy*.conf file to be "bridge=br0”. By default hostapd will keep setting the configuration file to point to the default Linux bridge and will not work. I couldn’t figure out how to do this automatically so I did a manual workaround to start hostapd manually with a custom configuration file.

Cheers,
—Curtis