[ovs-discuss] gre tunneling OVS

Ashish Kurian ashishbnv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 11:18:59 UTC 2016

Dear All,

I was trying to implement GRE tunneling in OVS using mininet. I have two
Ubuntu 16 VMs with mininet and OVS installed on them. I saw in some youtube
video that we must enable adapter 2 as shown below in order to enable
networking between different VMs.

​
When I start the VM before the mininet topology on them, there are already
two ethernet ports shown in ifconfig. I tried to ping google.com and
identified which ethernet port is the NAT port and thus identified the
other eth port that is used in networking for connecting the VMs. Then I
set the IP addresses of those eth ports as 192.168.56.101 & 192.168.56.103
in VM1 and VM2 respectively.

Then I started mininet topology on both of them using sudo mn --mac. In VM
2, I set IP of H1 and H2 as 10.0.0.3 & 10.0.0.4 respectively. Then I added
the following gre tunnel configuration in VM1 & VM2 respectively.

ovs-vsctl add-port s1 s1-gre1 -- set interface s1-gre1 type=gre
ovs-vsctl add-port s1 s1-gre1 -- set interface s1-gre1 type=gre

After this I tried the h1 ping 10.0.0.3 and the ping failed. I do not know
what is wrong in this set up. If you have implemented this please help me.
Also if you can identify the mistake in my setup, it would be helpful.

Best Regards,
Ashish Kurian
Best Regards,
Ashish Kurian