[ovs-discuss] Configuring MTU for dpdk and vhost ports

Kavanagh, Mark B mark.b.kavanagh at intel.com
Tue Sep 27 15:17:01 UTC 2016

>Hi,
>
>Is there a way to configure MTU for dpdk and vhost ports from its default 1500 ?
>I read, "with OVS, Normally the MTU should be changed using operating system specific
>interfaces (e.g. ifconfig).", but as they are dpdk ports, how can i configure them ?

Hi Kapil,

Depending on the version of OvS that you're using, you may use the Interface's 'mtu_request' field to modify the MTU of DPDK-type ports.

From INSTALL.DPDK-ADVANCED.md:

	"By default, DPDK ports are configured with standard Ethernet MTU (1500B). To
	enable Jumbo Frames support for a DPDK port, change the Interface's `mtu_request`
	attribute to a sufficiently large value.

	e.g. Add a DPDK Phy port with MTU of 9000:

	`ovs-vsctl add-port br0 dpdk0 -- set Interface dpdk0 type=dpdk -- set Interface dpdk0 mtu_request=9000`

	e.g. Change the MTU of an existing port to 6200:

	`ovs-vsctl set Interface dpdk0 mtu_request=6200`"

This functionality is currently supported on OvS Master and 2.6 branches.

Hope this helps,
Mark