[ovs-discuss] QoS rate limiting some, but not all, traffic

Kyle Benson kebenson at uci.edu
Thu Sep 29 00:16:10 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a multi-tenant environment in which some tenants'
traffic (as identified by e.g. VLAN tag) is bandwidth rate limited, whereas
other traffic is not. I've been able to successfully rate limit traffic on
a port using this 'cookbook recipe'
<http://hwchiu.logdown.com/posts/197231-config-qos-on-ovs-with-floodlight>,
but I can't figure out how to create a flow that conditionally bypasses the
queues.  When I set the flows to simply 'output' on the port (rather than
enqueue), the rate limiting appears to still be active.  It only goes to
full line speed when I explicitly call '$ s1 ovs-vsctl clear  port s1-eth1
qos'.  When I set the qos for that port again (without setting any enqueue
actions), it goes back to being rate limited.

Could someone please help shed some light on how one might accomplish this,
or if it's even possible?

ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) 2.6.90

DB Schema 7.14.0

Thank you,