[ovs-discuss] Regarding IP Options Field

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Fri Sep 30 17:06:12 UTC 2016

The FAQ says:

### Q: How do I add support for a new field or header?

A: Add new members for your field to "struct flow" in lib/flow.h, and
   add new enumerations for your new field to "enum mf_field_id" in
   lib/meta-flow.h, following the existing pattern.  Also, add support
   to miniflow_extract() in lib/flow.c for extracting your new field
   from a packet into struct miniflow, and to nx_put_raw() in
   lib/nx-match.c to output your new field in OXM matches.  Then
   recompile and fix all of the new warnings, implementing new
   functionality for the new field or header as needed.  (If you
   configure with --enable-Werror, as described in [INSTALL.md], then
   it is impossible to miss any warnings.)

   If you want kernel datapath support for your new field, you also
   need to modify the kernel module for the operating systems you are
   interested in.  This isn't mandatory, since fields understood only
   by userspace work too (with a performance penalty), so it's
   reasonable to start development without it.  If you implement
   kernel module support for Linux, then the Linux kernel "netdev"
   mailing list is the place to submit that support first; please read
   up on the Linux kernel development process separately.  The Windows
   datapath kernel module support, on the other hand, is maintained
   within the OVS tree, so patches for that can go directly to
   ovs-dev.