[ovs-discuss] How to crash ovs-vswitchd and ovsdb-server

Andy Zhou azhou at ovn.org
Thu Apr 27 04:21:55 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:31 PM, V Phanendra <phanendra.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My requirement is my application should detect the crash in ovsdb-server and
> ovs-vswitchd application and do required relaunching applications.
>
> To test this I would like to know how to crash ovsdb-server and ovs-vswitchd
> application?
> I don't want to kill it by kill or other commands.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards,
> Phanendra

If you are O.K. with modifying the source code, you can introduce a
bug, such as NULL pointer access.
If you make them crash at start up time, then no external commands are needed.

If you don't want to modify the source code, 'ovs-appctl exit' may be
what you need.
although it is not technically crashing ovs-vswitchd, and it involves
issuing one command.

> Regards,
> Phanendra

Oh, 'ovs-appctl -t ovsdb-server exit' stops ovsdb-server. Just in case it helps.