[ovs-discuss] Packet-in Performance

Yikai Lin hilarious0401 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 01:40:10 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Since packet buffering is removed from OVS in later releases, I wonder what
is the expected throughput performance for packet-in? Assume the controller
is out-of-band and located at 0.0.0.0.

I ask this because when I tried to install a flow rule to deliberately send
all packets of a TCP flow to the control plane, the number of packets
actually arrived is quite small, way smaller than the number shown on the
dump-flows output. The tested traffic throughput is 500Mbps.

BTW, it seems that altering the flow table with traffic in flight generates
inaccurate flow rule match numbers

Best,
Yikai