[ovs-discuss] ovs infrastructure deployment question

Nusrat Atta nusrat at attaresources.com
Mon Aug 28 14:12:08 UTC 2017

Hi,
I am getting confused on how OVS is supposed to be deployed. I am using VMware ESXi to provision VMs. I have a portgroup OVS_10.0.0.x that has no uplinks (i.e. not connected physically to any ports) and all of my VMs are on this network.
So I created a couple of VMs (e.g. ovsvm1, ovsvm2, ovswebserver, vswitch). I installed the OVS 2.7.2 on my vswitch machine and created a bridge and attached the single eth0 port to the bridge. So I also gave my vswitch VM, the ip of 10.0.0.1, gateway=10.0.0.1, dns=10.0.0.1 and created static ips on all the other VMs (e.g. ovsvm1 ip = 10.0.0.10, gateway=10.0.0.1, dns=10.0.0.1), I did similar for all the other machines with everyone pointing their gateway and dns to the vswitch machine. Because it is in a mac learning mode, I can now ping every machine with out any problems.

Is this the way it is supposed to be deployed? Because I only have one physical port on the vswitch VM I cant seem to do add-flows of simple actions like:

ovs-ofctl add-flow mybridge priority=500,in_port=1,actions=output:2
ovs-ofctl add-flow mybridge priority=500,in_port=2,actions=output:1

How do you I accomplish ports? The vswitch VM is supposed to act like a physical switch with many ports.

Do I need to install ovs on each VM? Even then I don’t know how that will help.

Any guidance, tutorials, urls, etc. would be appreciated. I have been reading up a ton on this, but a nudge in the right direction will help.

Thanks in advance
Nuz

Sent from Mail for Windows 10