[ovs-discuss] Failed assertion in ovs-vswitchd when running OVN

Kevin Lin kevin at kelda.io
Thu Dec 7 17:26:14 UTC 2017

Hi,

I work on Kelda (kelda.io <http://kelda.io/>) with Ethan Jackson. We run a containerized, distributed version of OVN. The master branch of openvswitch/ovs (commit 07754b23ee5027508d64804d445e617b017cc2d1) fails with the following assertion in ovs-vswitchd:

ovs-vswitchd(handler2): ofproto/ofproto-dpif-xlate.c:3704: assertion !truncate failed in compose_output_action__()

whenever we try to use the OVN network. A little background on our setup:
We’re a container orchestrator that uses OVN for the container network.
One machine in our cluster runs ovn-northd and ovsdb-server. The network is mostly configured from here (creating the logical ports, creating ACLs etc).
Another machine runs ovn-controller, ovs-vswitchd, and ovsdb-server. We install some container-specific OpenFlow rules by connecting directly to ovs-vswitchd, and of course ovs-vswitchd also receives rules from OVN.
ovs-vswitchd does not crash immediately after the rules are installed. But it crashes as soon as the network is used (e.g. a ping from one container to another).

The commit before the commit that introduced the assertion works for us (https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/48f704f4768d13f85252bac4f93c8d45d8ab3eea <https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/48f704f4768d13f85252bac4f93c8d45d8ab3eea>).

I’ve attached the ovs-vswitchd logs. I’m not sure how helpful the output of ovs-bugtool will be given our containerized setup, but I’ve also attached the output of running that from within the ovs-vswitchd container from before and after the crash. Note, because the ovs-vswitchd container crashed, the “after” tarball was generated after restarting the container, so I’m not sure if any of the commands it ran actually succeeded.

The crash is trivial for me to reproduce, so please let me know if there’s anymore information I can give you.

Thanks!
—Kevin