[ovs-discuss] Ubuntu 16.04 Openvswitch bridge on bond

Raymond Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Sat Dec 9 21:56:56 UTC 2017

> I am attempting to setup a linux bond and create a openvswitch bridge that
> uses this bond0 on Ubuntu 16.04.03 using a cisco 2960 switch with
> openvswitch version 255.2.

Take a look at

https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/debian/openvswitch-switch.REA
DME.Debian

It has a number of examples.

In addition, I have found that I need to create manual entries for bond
members to ensure that they come up (do this only if you find they don't
come up)

> On the Ubuntu server I have configured
>
> # /etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf
> alias bond0 bonding
>     options bonding mode=4 miimon=100 lacp_rate=1
>
> # /etc/network/interfaces
> auto eno1
> iface eno1 inet manual
>   bond-master bond0
>
> auto eno2
> iface eno2 inet manual
>   bond-master bond0
>
> auto bond0
> allow-br0 bond0
> iface bond0 inet manual
>   bond-slaves eno1 eno2
>   ovs_bridge br0
>   ovs_type OVSPort
>
> auto br0
> allow-ovs br0
> iface br0 inet static
>   address 192.168.0.8
>   netmask 255.255.255.0
>   gateway 192.168.0.1
>   dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1
>   ovs_type OVSBridge
>   ovs_ports br0
>
> On the Cisco switch I have my LAN 192.168.0.1 connect to port G0/1 on
access
> port and created ether-channel and connected ports G0/7 and G0/8 to my
> Ubuntu server.  Vlan 1 to make things simple.
>
> # show run
> interface Port-channel1
>  switchport mode access
>
> interface GigabitEthernet0/7
>  switchport mode access
>  channel-protocol lacp
>  channel-group 1 mode active
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet0/8
>  switchport mode access
>  channel-protocol lacp
>  channel-group 1 mode active
>
> From the switch I can see the LACP neighbours
>
> Switch#show lacp neighbor
>                   LACP port                        Admin  Oper   Port
Port
> Port      Flags   Priority  Dev ID          Age    key    Key    Number
> State
> Gi0/7     SA      255       a01d.48c7.7618  26s    0x0    0x9    0x2
0x3D
> Gi0/8     SA      255       a01d.48c7.7618  25s    0x0    0x9    0x1
0x3D

> However, I am unable to get my Ubuntu server to be able to ping any
devices
> on my local network.  From my switch I can ping other devices my network
> apart from the Ubuntu server.
>
> Could someone explain to me what I have missed with regards to this setup?
>
> Thanks
>
> Densha

> --

believed to be clean.