[ovs-discuss] Issue with OVS Patch port

Vasu S vasugemz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 02:24:49 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect two OVS bridges via patch ports, however, as soon as
I add the ports as type=patch, they disappear from the ifconfig and I'm
unable to check any traffic hits on either of the patch interfaces. Of
course, I'm not able to get the ping going with the patched interfaces Only
one OVS amongst the two is connected to the outside network via GRE tunnel.

Topology roughly looks like as the attached document.

Problem: Unable to ping VM1 from VM2
Expected route: VM2->ovsbr-ext->GRE Tunnel->ovsbr1->patchlink->ovsbr2->VM1.

Patch config on the bridges ovsbr1 and ovsbr2 are as follows:

ovs-vsctl add-port ovsbr1 port1
ovs-vsctl add-port ovsbr2 port2

ovs-vsctl set interface port1 type=patch
ovs-vsctl set interface port2 type=patch

ovs-vsctl set interface port1 options:peer=port2
ovs-vsctl set interface port2 options:peer=port1

OpenVSwitch version on physical host 1 : 2.0.2
OPenVSwitch version on physical host 2 : 2.5.2

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

-regards,
 Vasu.