[ovs-discuss] Add logical flows with OVN

Shuaijun Zhang szhang at research.ait.ie
Wed Feb 1 22:48:05 UTC 2017

Hi Guys,

I am newbie with using OVS and now need to set up a test environment with
Docker+OVN on 4 VMs (Openstack instances)

OVS version 2.6.1
VM0: OVN central controller (NB database & SB database & northd) + Docker
cluster-store Consul
VM1: OVN node 1 where the docker containers will run
VM2: OVN node 2 where the docker containers will run
VM3: OVN node 3 where the docker containers will run

By following the document of
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/v2.6.1/INSTALL.Docker.md, I got it
working: the docker containers on these VMs can ping each other via geneve
tunnel.

Now come to my basic test:
C1: container1 on VM1
C2: container2 on VM2
C3: container3 on VM3

Originally, if ping from C1 to C3, it directly gets there (C1->C3). Now I
want to route the ping traffic from C1 to C3 through C2, means all the ping
traffic must be C1->C2->C3. It looks very simple, but quite hard to
newbies. how to do it with OVN? :(

I have used floodlight as the SDN controller (by "ovs-vsctl set-controller"
on VM1, VM2 & VM3), but I can't manage it to control the traffic across
multiple switches (those switches are on different VMs).

I also checked the OVN utilities, ovn-nbctl allows you to add ACLs, but
those ACLs are for access control, not for the traffic control.
The way it may work (I guess) is using ovn-sbctl to add the logical flows
directly to SB database, but I am not sure if it is the right way.

So can anyone point me out how to control the ping traffic.
Thank you so much

Best regards
Jason