[ovs-discuss] OVS Packet Per Second Performance

Levente Csikor csikor at tmit.bme.hu
Thu Feb 9 09:43:11 UTC 2017

Hi,

I always wanted to share our results here, but I always forgot:). I
guess, then, now it's time for that.

We have recently built a community-based framework (called NFPA) with
one very aim in our mind: to investigate the pure performance of
software-based (v)NFs in different environments and use-cases.
After a measurement is conducted, it is possible to share the results
with the community to make them to be ``officially published''.

The main database has recently been purged, and only filled up with
decent reproducible results, hence the amount of data is not as huge as
we want at the moment, but it seems to be a good start.

For instance, a stable OVS 2.5.0 with DPDK 2.2.0, running on 1 core of
an Intel Core i7-6700 x86-based server, trying to switch 40G traffic
based on 100 and 100.000 destination MAC addresses, respetively (i.e.,
acting an l2-switch) with an Intel XL710 NIC achieves the following results:

goo.gl/za8iVV

For more information about NFPA, the framework and the applications
beneath, usage information, built-in use-cases and traffic traces, and
for everything else, please visit:

http://nfpa.tmit.bme.hu/

NFPA is open-source, and accordingly it's completely free. So, please
use it, share results and do feedbacks! Moreover, it is being maintained
and developed continuously.

Cheers,
Levi