[ovs-discuss] Indirect Control Channel

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Thu Feb 9 16:49:11 UTC 2017

Please see my reply below.

On 02/09/2017 08:36 AM, Jannis Ohms wrote:
> I would like to connect my Switches indirect with the controller. To
> achive this i would like to deploy 2 bridges on every switch one to
> provide classical L2 forwarding for the controlchannel and one to use
> with Openflow. Something like this
> (http://archive.openflow.org/wp/deploy-production-planning/)
>
> did someone build such a thing using OVS ?

Unless I misunderstand your intent, this should be easily accomplished
using current builds of OVS. Models similar to what you describe are
already in use in some OpenStack environments, if I'm not mistaken.

- Create two bridges---one to use with the controller, and one to use
for L2 forwarding over physical interfaces. For example, you might call
them "br-int" (integration bridge) and "br-phy" (for physical interfaces).

- Connect "br-int" to the controller.

- Configure "br-phy" with appropriate physical interfaces, bonds, etc.

This should accomplish what you're seeking.

Hope this helps,

--
Scott