[ovs-discuss] Bonding slave disabled

Neelakantam Gaddam neelugaddam at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 17:01:43 UTC 2017

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

Bonding tap or internal devices are not my use case.

I saw the interface status was UP and RUNNING (for both eth0 and eth1) in
my setup and still did not get the enabled state in bond show.
This is the exact issue I am observing.

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 at 4:45 PM, nickcooper-zhangtonghao <nic at opencloud.tech>
wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2017, at 1:05 PM, nickcooper-zhangtonghao <nic at opencloud.tech>
> wrote:
>
> If you use the virtual ethernet driver, you should set the type of net
> device. If not, the “system” will be used.
>
> For example, tap device
>
> ovs-vsctl add-br br0
> ifconfig tap1 up
> ifconfig tap2 up
> ovs-vsctl add-bond br0 bond0 tap1 tap2 bond_mode=active-backup
> ovs-vsctl set interface tap1 type=tap
> ovs-vsctl set interface tap2 type=tap
> ovs-appctl bond/show bond0
>
> Thanks.
> Nick
>
> On Feb 11, 2017, at 2:02 PM, Neelakantam Gaddam <neelugaddam at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> When one interface is down, the interface showing may_enable to false. But
> the up interface becoming active slave and is enabled.
>
> I am using virtual ethernet driver which doesn't have mii tool support.
> The carrier link is up always , but still may_enable set to false. Is there
> any other criteria for may_enable becoming false.
>
> Thanks
> Neelakantam
>

> Hi,
> The example I given, should be described as below:
>
> ovs-vsctl add-br br0
> ovs-vsctl add-bond br0 bond0 tap1 tap2 bond_mode=active-backup
> ovs-vsctl set interface tap1 type=tap
> ovs-vsctl set interface tap2 type=tap
> ovs-appctl bond/show bond0
>
> More information about tap on OvS:
>
> https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/c431227e33503421d3412bd33415750b6010730d/Documentation/faq/issues.rst
>
> Section: “I created a tap device tap0, configured an IP address on it, and
> added it to a bridge”.
>

> It is not you case, sorry. I don’t really understand your case yesterday.
> But I may try to explain it for you again. If you want to bond the net
> devices. You should make sure that at least one bonded interface is
> IFF_RUNNING. For example:
>
> ip link add name  vm1-lpeer2 type veth peer name  vm1-rpeer2
> ip link add name  vm2-lpeer2 type veth peer name  vm2-rpeer2
>
> ifconfig vm1-lpeer up
> ifconfig vm2-lpeer up
> ovs-vsctl add-bond br0 bond2 vm1-lpeer vm2-lpeer bond_mode=active-backup
>

> You should set the vm1-rpeer2 and vm2-rpeer2 UP using ifconfig command(if
> you don’t do that, vm1-lpeer andvm2-lpeer are IFF_UP not IFF_RUNNING).
>
> ovs-appctl bond/show bond2
> ---- bond2 ----
> bond_mode: active-backup
> bond may use recirculation: no, Recirc-ID : -1
> bond-hash-basis: 0
> updelay: 0 ms
> downdelay: 0 ms
> lacp_status: off
> active slave mac: c6:42:c6:6d:9a:93(vm1-lpeer)
>
> slave vm1-lpeer: enabled
> active slave
> may_enable: true
>
> slave vm2-lpeer: enabled

> [...]