[ovs-discuss] Bonding switches using Mininet

nickcooper-zhangtonghao nic at opencloud.tech
Fri Feb 17 05:20:34 UTC 2017

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 11:42 PM, Ronaldo Resende <ronaldorrjr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Okay, I'm a little confused. I'm trying to create a bond of 4 interfaces between 2 switches in an virtual environment using Mininet.
> This is my topology:
>

> 8 hosts <----- 8 links of 100mbps, 1 per host ------> switch_1 <------- 4 links of 100mbps --------> switch_2 <----- 4 links of 100mbps, 1 per host ------> 4 hosts
>

> What is the right way to configure a bond switch_1 and switch_2?
>
> On 13 February 2017 at 06:24, nickcooper-zhangtonghao <nic at opencloud.tech <mailto:nic at opencloud.tech>> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 12, 2017, at 11:26 PM, Ronaldo Resende <ronaldorrjr at gmail.com <mailto:ronaldorrjr at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> ronaldo at localhost:~$ sudo ovs-vsctl add-bond s1 bond0 s1-eth9 s1-eth10
>> ovs-vsctl: cannot create an interface named s1-eth9 because a port named s1-eth9 already exists on bridge s1
>>
>> Any other thoughts?
>
> The s1-eth9 and s1-eth10 have been added to OvS bridge. So you can’t add them to bridge again.
> You can del them from OvS bridge and bond them.
>
> Thanks.
> Nick

If you want to bond links together using ovs-vsctl, you will need to consult
the OVS documentation. I’m not sure whether it is compatible with running
the switch in OpenFlow mode with Mininet.

And you can write and add code to  controller (e.g. floodlight, RYU or ODL)to
support link aggregation, you should probably consult the the controller
documentation as well as the OpenFlow specification(s).