[ovs-discuss] Why usespace GRE support only TEB

soumyadeep.chowdhury at wipro.com soumyadeep.chowdhury at wipro.com
Fri Jan 6 06:17:38 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am using OVS-2.6.1.
I setup userspace GRE tunnel, but I have noticed it only supports Transparent Ethernet Bridging(TEB) mode by default, where as other 3rd party routers (like cisco, vyatta etc even in linux)support IP mode for tunneled pkt.

Issue is if I try to establish GRE tunnel between one end OVS(userspace) and other end Linux I see ovs dropping the GRE tunnel packets.

netdev_gre_pop_header()

parse_gre_header()

{

. . .

    if (greh->protocol != htons(ETH_TYPE_TEB)) {

        return -EINVAL;

    }

. . .

}

Can someone please help me to understand why this limitation in OVS. Can OVS able to work with IP based gre tunneled packets too, or there will be some issue.

Regards,
Soumyadeep