[ovs-discuss] kernel panic when setting QoS parameters more than once

Joe Stringer joe at ovn.org
Wed Jan 11 22:30:52 UTC 2017

On 10 January 2017 at 05:46, Riccardo R. <riccardoravaioli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> By setting QoS parameters more than once on an OpenvSwitch bridge, we caused
> kernel panic on our machine. This is
> reproducible with the following commands:
>
> $ ovs-vsctl add-br mybridge
> $ ovs-vsctl add-port mybridge myiface
> $ ovs-vsctl set interface myiface  ingress_policing_rate=100
> # with the command below the kernel will crash, regardless of the value
> given as input:
> $ ovs-vsctl set interface myiface  ingress_policing_rate=1000
>
> We tried this with openvswitch 2.4 and 2.6.1 on a 4.6 Linux kernel.
> Interestingly, it works correctly on openvswitch 2.3.0 installed on a 3.16
> kernel.

Are you able to get the kernel backtrace from the console when it crashes?

Most likely this is a regression in upstream Linux for the kernel that
you are seeing the problem. Can you provide more details? Eg, where
did you get your 4.6 kernel from? What is the full "uname -r" version
for it? What .config was used when compiling it? Are you able to also
try other versions, eg 4.4 or 4.9?