[ovs-discuss] Failed to build Open vSwitch Kernel Modules on CentOS 7 (kernel 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64)

Joe Stringer joe at ovn.org
Wed Jan 11 23:51:14 UTC 2017

On 11 January 2017 at 15:38, Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 03:03:45PM -0800, Joe Stringer wrote:
>> On 9 January 2017 at 19:01, liu yulong <liuyulong.xa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi experts,
>> >
>> > We have failed to build Open vSwitch Kernel Modules on CentOS 7 (kernel
>> > 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64).
>> >
>> > Here are some traces we got:
>> > http://paste.openstack.org/show/594350/
>> >
>> > Steps:
>> > 1. download the current openvswitch release:
>> > http://openvswitch.org/releases/openvswitch-2.6.1.tar.gz
>> >
>> > 2. rpmbuild
>> > (1) prepare the SOURCE
>> > cp openvswitch-2.6.1.tar.gz ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/
>> > tar -zxvf openvswitch-2.6.1.tar.gz
>> > cp ./openvswitch-2.6.1/rhel/* ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/
>> > cp ./openvswitch-2.6.1/rhel/*.spec ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/
>> >

>> > (2) edit ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/openvswitch-kmod-fedora.spec
>> > change the #%define kernel to:
>> > #%define kernel 3.10.0-514.2.2.el7.x86_64
>> >
>> > (3) start build
>> > rpmbuild -bb --without check ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/openvswitch-kmod-fedora.spec
>> >
>> > Then we get that error. So can anyone help to solve such issue?
>> > Thank you.
>>
>> If you want to use the kernel module from the OVS tree, you need to
>> use master or wait for the next version of OVS. Alternatively you can
>> skip using the kernel module from OVS tree and only compile the
>> userspace programs, then use the kernel module that is provided with
>> Centos 7.
>
> Maybe liu is confused because the FAQ that comes with OVS 2.6.1 says
> that the kernel module should work with Linux 3.10.  Maybe it does not
> work because Centos kernels diverge from upstream.

True, it's a bit confusing. The FAQ distributed with 2.6 specifically
states the supported versions, with this caveat:

"The Linux kernel versions are upstream kernel versions, so Linux
kernels modified from the upstream sources may not build in some cases
even if they are based on a supported version. This is most notably
true of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) kernels, which are extensively
modified from upstream."

https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/branch-2.6/FAQ.md#q-what-linux-kernel-versions-does-each-open-vswitch-release-work-with