[ovs-discuss] VXLAN support in OVS 2.5.0

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Sun Jan 15 23:10:44 UTC 2017

On 01/13/2017 03:20 AM, Shravan S K wrote:
> My motive is to simulate VXLAN functionality on a bigger topology using
> mininet.
> My plan - As Mininet uses OVS bridges to simulate vswitch functionality,
> we can use ovs-vsctl to configure VXLAN functionality on the bridges. I
> thought let me try for a simple topology without using Mininet and just
> using OVS on a single host and 2 VMs. If it works, then I can make a
> similar configuration for a bigger topology using mininet.
>
> OVS on a single host and 2 VMs : vm1-----br1-------br2-----vm2
> I am confused on how to perform the vxlan config for the above setup.
>
> If the above one works, I could try on the mininet topologies.
> For the mininet topology ( --topo=linear,2 )
> h1 ----- s1 ------ s2 -------- h2 (h1,h2 are hosts, s1,s2 are switches -
> actually ovs bridges)

Setting aside the mininet question for the moment, the way to get VXLAN
working between two OVS bridges is to establish an IP endpoint (also
known as a VXLAN Tunnel Endpoint, or VTEP) for each bridge. So, in your
example configuration, br1 and br2 each need an interface (of some sort)
with an IP address. You'd then configure a VXLAN port on br1 that points
to the IP endpoint for br2, and configure a VXLAN port on br2 that
points to the IP endpoint for br1. Since you're trying to do this within
a single host, you might consider using OVS internal ports as the IP
endpoints for each bridge. As long as each IP endpoint can reach the
other, then in theory it should work.

--
Scott