[ovs-discuss] OVN DHCP implementation ignores broadcast bit

Alin Serdean aserdean at cloudbasesolutions.com
Tue Jul 4 12:18:46 UTC 2017

Hi Alex,

You can send it to dev at openvswitch.org<mailto:dev at openvswitch.org> or create a new pull request via github.

Thanks,
Alin.

From: ovs-discuss-bounces at openvswitch.org [mailto:ovs-discuss-bounces at openvswitch.org] On Behalf Of Alex Jones
Sent: Tuesday, July 4, 2017 4:00 AM
To: ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org
Subject: [ovs-discuss] OVN DHCP implementation ignores broadcast bit

Hi All,

  I have OVN up and running (version 2.7), and it is working well except for one case. We have a VM which uses its own IP stack and does not accept unicast DHCP offers. After examining the OVN code, I found that it currently doesn't support the broadcast bit if set by the client.

  I didn't see any bugs regarding this, so I did a patch myself. The patch modifies put_dhcp_options to return 2 if the broadcast bit was set in the DISCOVER/REQUEST, and 1 if not set (both indicate success). Then I modified the current logical flow to check if the return code is 1, then execute the current logical flow. I added a new logical flow to handle the broadcast bit set case. If the return value from put_dhcp_options is 2, the new flow is executed which sets the dest MAC and dest IP to broadcast.

  I'd like to submit this. Do I just post it here?

Alex