[ovs-discuss] ovs-2.7.1 vxlan issue

Sidhant Hasija shasija at tssg.org
Sun Jul 9 23:47:27 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am trying to connect two openvswitch mininet network situated in two
different hosts through a vxlan tunnel.

However, when I try to setup a vxlan port on a switch through the
following command, I get "address family not supported error".

/ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vxlan1 -- set interface vxlan1 type=vxlan

Error:
ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'vxlan1': could not add
network device vxlan1 to ofproto (Address family not supported by
protocol).  See ovs-vswitchd log for details.
Log message:
|00022|dpif|WARN|system at ovs-system: failed to add vxlan1 as port:
Address family not supported by protocol
|00023|bridge|WARN|could not add network device vxlan1 to ofproto
(Address family not supported by protocol)

Any inputs on this long persisted issue will be really helpful.
I am using ubuntu-16, kernel 4.4 and ovs 2.7.1

Thanks and Regards
Sidhant