[ovs-discuss] building from source / ovs-dpctl-top crash

Blue Lang blue at veracity.io
Mon Jul 10 20:21:36 UTC 2017

Hello,

New to the list. My company is building an (awesome) industrial security
networking platform and OVS is a big part of the solution, so thank you all
for your work.

I'd like to use ovs-dpctl-top as part of our testing suite, but it is
crashing on launch. I built it and mininet from scratch/TOT to be sure it
wasn't an old bug. I have two suggestions for the build scripts, and the
error I'm seeing with -top.

   - Should make install create /usr/local/var/run/openvswitch by default?
   Right now this is a needless manual step.
   - Can ovsdb-server create a symlink to db.sock to avoid requiring
    "--remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock" in what seems to
   be the default invocation? All of the related tools seem to want to use
   db.sock rather than the instantiation-specific socket.

Sorry if I misunderstood the operation of either of the above - this is
just based on my experience today building it for the first time.

-top dies with the following stack trace the moment mininet instantiates:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/local/bin/ovs-dpctl-top", line 1290, in <module>

    sys.exit(main())

  File "/usr/local/bin/ovs-dpctl-top", line 1282, in main

    flows_top(args)

  File "/usr/local/bin/ovs-dpctl-top", line 1191, in flows_top

    flows_read(ihdl, flow_db)

  File "/usr/local/bin/ovs-dpctl-top", line 593, in flows_read

    flow_db.flow_line_add(line)

  File "/usr/local/bin/ovs-dpctl-top", line 988, in flow_line_add

    self.flow_event(fields_dict, stats_old_dict, stats_dict)

  File "/usr/local/bin/ovs-dpctl-top", line 1080, in flow_event

    matches = flow_aggregate(fields_dict, stats_new_dict)

  File "/usr/local/bin/ovs-dpctl-top", line 576, in flow_aggregate

    field, stats_dict)

  File "/usr/local/bin/ovs-dpctl-top", line 268, in element_ipv6_get

    element_show = fmt % (field_type, element["src"], element["dst"])

KeyError: 'src'

If this is not a known error I can spend some time debugging it.

Steps: git ovs, git mininet, build both with defaults, no changes to
config, etc. run ovs-dpctl-top, start mininet, crash.

root at FusionOVCS:~/ovs# cat /etc/lsb-release

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu

DISTRIB_RELEASE=17.04

DISTRIB_CODENAME=zesty

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 17.04"