[ovs-discuss] Issue with offloading OVS flows into Mellanox-4 cards

Sugu Deepthy deepthysugesh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 23:20:41 UTC 2017

Thank you Roi for your help!

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:57 AM, Roi Dayan <roid at mellanox.com> wrote:

> On 07/07/2017 17:36, Sugu Chandran wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to test hardware offloading feature in OVS using a 2*25G
>> mellanox NIC.   My test setup has static OVS L2 rules to forward packets
>> between these two ports. The traffic generators are connected to these
>> ports to pump in traffic.
>> The hardware offloading is enabled in the system by using,
>>     ovs-vsctl --no-wait set Open_vSwitch . other_config:hw-offload=true
>> I didnt set any hw-policy explicit,  as I kept it default as 'None'
>>
>> I noticed that when I am sending traffic to these ports, there are no
>> rules that are getting programmed into the hardware. Also there are no
>> error reported in ovs-vswitchd.log as such.
>> Of Course the packets are getting forwarded in software.  Is there
>> anything else needs to be done to make the TC for programming the
>> mellanox NICs?
>>
>> Regards
>> _Sugu
>>

> Hi Sugo,
>
> Since you do not have errors in the log did you check if the rules
> were added to tc software?
> you can dump like this:
> # tc -s filter show dev ens5f0 ingress

I dont see any rules that are configured with above tc dump.

> You need to enable the offload feature on the HCA with ethtool.
> example:
> # ethtool -K ens5f0 hw-tc-offload on

This is enabled .

I am trying to forward traffic between two PFs on the same NIC?
Does it supported in the offload implementation?
When creating the switchdev on PFs with 2 VFs, there is no VF netdevs are
populated in my system. They are still showing as the vfs under the PF.
Ofcourse there are no errors too.

Also the system reports the mode 'inline-mode transport'is unsupported.
I am using ubunutu 17.04 with 4.10 kernel.
Is there anything I am missing here?
Any help is really appreciated!.

> We still need to work on docs for this feature but for now I
> documented it a little here:
> https://github.com/roidayan/ovs/wiki

As suggested in the wiki,