[ovs-discuss] How to add real NIC interfaces into OpenStack Network

Ali Volkan Atli Volkan.Atli at argela.com.tr
Thu Jul 13 17:17:00 UTC 2017

Hi

Actually, I'm not sure it is the right place to ask the question but I hope someone enlighten me.

First, I did ./stack from devstack using local.conf below

    [[local|localrc]]
    ADMIN_PASSWORD=admin
    DATABASE_PASSWORD=$ADMIN_PASSWORD
    RABBIT_PASSWORD=$ADMIN_PASSWORD
    SERVICE_PASSWORD=$ADMIN_PASSWORD

    NEUTRON_CREATE_INITIAL_NETWORKS=False

I was hoping the OVS would not create any bridges, but there are several bridges as below. Even more interesting, I do not see any network on the dashboard (whatever admin or demo users). I think it is strange. Is there any explanation for that?

    stack at cloud:~/devstack$ sudo ovs-vsctl show
    a78a396a-c697-4e69-a615-fa77df2be2b1
    Manager "ptcp:6640:127.0.0.1"
        is_connected: true
    Bridge br-int
        Controller "tcp:127.0.0.1:6633"
            is_connected: true
        fail_mode: secure
        Port br-int
            Interface br-int
                type: internal
        Port patch-tun
            Interface patch-tun
                type: patch
        Port int-br-ex
            Interface int-br-ex
                type: patch
    Bridge br-ex
        Controller "tcp:127.0.0.1:6633"
            is_connected: true
        fail_mode: secure
        Port br-ex
            Interface br-ex
                type: internal
        Port phy-br-ex
            Interface phy-br-ex
                type: patch
    Bridge br-tun
        Controller "tcp:127.0.0.1:6633"
            is_connected: true
        fail_mode: secure
        Port patch-int
            Interface patch-int
                type: patch
        Port br-tun
            Interface br-tun
                type: internal
    ovs_version: "2.6.1"

Second, I created a local network (openstack network create local_net --provider-network-type local) and I have multiple real NIC interfaces and I'd like to add the real NIC interfaces as a port into local network. But I did not see any example/tutorial etc.. for my issue. I will use "ovs-vsctl add-port" to add it my local_net created from openstack, but I don't know how to see it in OvS. What is local_net's counterpart in OVS? How can I add real NIC interfaces into local network and also local instances. I want to communicate my external laptop with an openstack instance via devstack-neutron.

Thanks in advance

- Volkan