[ovs-discuss] How to configure VxLAN tunnel with OpenVSwitch-2.7.0 on Ubuntu14.04.1 ?

sujz drizzle_su at 126.com
Sun Jul 16 15:30:09 UTC 2017

Hi, ALL:

I want to connect VMs located on two different machines with ovs bridge and VxLAN tunnel, suppose the topology as the picture
shows, my configuration on host A like this(configuration on host B is almost the same except changing remote_ip to address of host A'eth0):

ovs-vsctl add-br ovs-br0
ovs-vsctl add-port ovs-br0 vtep -- set interface vtep type=vxlan options:remote_ip=172.168.1.200 options:key=5000

tap0 is created and automatically added to bridge ovs-br0 while starting VMs with qemu, but I cannot ping from VM1 to VM2.

I also googled some links like this: http://networkstatic.net/configuring-vxlan-and-gre-tunnels-on-openvswitch/ , which says I have to create two ovs-bridge, unfortunately, it doesn't tell whether(and how to) it is necessary to link these two bridges together.

I am confused that how does the ovs-br0 and eth0 communicate, does that the kernel TCP/IP stack help doing this job, or I have to create another ovs-bridge and connect these two bridges with patch ports ?

So please correct me if my topology or configurations aren't right, and many thanks in advance.

I also tried to configure vtep: ovs-vsctl add-port ovs-br0 vtep -- set interface vtep type=vxlan options:remote_ip=flow options:local_ip=flow options:key=flow Then add flow entry explicitly to match ARP request from VM1 and forward them to vtep. ovs-ofctl add-flow ovs-br0 "table=0, priority=50, in_port=ofport_of_tap0, actions=output:ofport_of_vtep". After ping from VM1 to VM2, dump-flows showed that the added entry was matched (according to the entry matched packets should be forwarded to vtep), but dump-ports showed that vtep received nothing, I don't know why, any hints are appreciated.