[ovs-discuss] Getting to learn how OVS works.

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Mon Jul 17 15:19:38 UTC 2017

> On Jul 17, 2017, at 8:43 AM, dE <de.techno at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ok so I guess I missed out the question and that is -- is there any document/reference/tutorial etc... which explains the mode of operation of OVS?
>

> On 07/17/17 18:53, dE wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I was browsing through the documentation searching for the internal workings of OVS. It appears there are 2 levels of details that the OVS project provides about OVS --
>>
>> 1) Extreme -- http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/tutorials/ovs-advanced/, http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/topics/datapath/ etc...
>> 2) In brief -- http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/, http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/what-is-ovs/, http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/why-ovs/
>>
>> You can't jump from 1) to 2) or 2) to 1) without an intermediate 1.5) which explains things like --
>>
>> What kind of bridge does OVS make? How does it behave?
>> The concept of ports and interfaces.
>> The 'controller' and where does it exist and how to build it (well 1st let's try to explain what this is in term of OVS).
>> The role of tunnels(like GRE) and how does OVS accomplish a single switch view using them.

This is a difficult question to answer because OVS can be used in many different ways. How you would use OVS in conjunction with OpenStack, for example, could be _very_ different than how you might use OVS with an SDN controller such as OpenDaylight.

Is there a particular use case/solution for which you need more information? That might better enable the OVS community to help you. We _want_ to help; we just need a bit more information in order to do so.

--
Scott