[ovs-discuss] less tcp perf with active-backup bonding mode on XL710

gowrishankar muthukrishnan gowrishankar.m at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jul 27 10:11:46 UTC 2017

Hi,
I am using XL710 NIC (2 ports) as part of OVS bonding port in
active-backup mode
in x86_64 servers. Setup is pretty simple. Two machines each with XL710 NIC
connected each other back-to-back on these ports. Bonding is setup
through OVS
active-backup mode. After bonding port is created, I assign an IP address on
bridge and run iperf for TCP perf comparison.

iperf (with default params) between bonding ports shows very less
throughput of
around 1 Mbps where as in same server, when I use 82599 (ixgbe) I find
better
throughput of around 20 Mbps. I tried with dpdk poll mode driver as
well. It helps
ixgbe to get near 250 Mbps but, same poor performance I get for i40e.

Has anyone observed this reduced throughput (with or without dpdk) in XL710
while in OVS active-backup bonding ?. Any pointer to find hot spot causing
trouble (I am trying perf for the moment).

OVS version of 2.6 as well as 2.7 tried (along with dpdk 16.11.1).

--
Regards,
Gowrishankar M