[ovs-discuss] OVS-DPDK IP fragmentation require

Darrell Ball dball at vmware.com
Thu Jul 27 17:12:59 UTC 2017

From: Hui Xiang <xianghuir at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:18 AM
To: Darrell Ball <dball at vmware.com>
Cc: "ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org" <ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org>
Subject: Re: [ovs-discuss] OVS-DPDK IP fragmentation require

Blow is the diagram (using OVS-DPDK):

1. For packets coming to vm1 from internet where could have MTU 1500, there could be including some fragmented packets,
    how does the ALC/Security groups handle these fragmented packets? do nothing and pass it next which may pass the packets
    should be dropped or any special handling?

Lets assume the fragments get thru. the physical switch and/or firewall.

Are you using DPDK in GW and using OVS kernel datapath in br-int where you apply ACL/Security groups policy ?

2. For packets egress from vm1, if all internal physical switch support Jumbo Frame, that's fine, but if there are some physical swithes
    just support 1500/2000 MTU, then fragmented packets generated again. The ACL/Security groups face problem as item 1 as well.

For packets that reach the physical switches on the way out, then the decision how to handle them is at the physical switch/router
The packets may be fragmented at this point; depending on the switch; there will be HW firewall policies to contend with, so depends.

[nline image 1]