[ovs-discuss] OVS-DPDK IP fragmentation require

Darrell Ball dball at vmware.com
Fri Jul 28 02:54:40 UTC 2017

From: Hui Xiang <xianghuir at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 6:59 PM
To: Darrell Ball <dball at vmware.com>
Cc: "ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org" <ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org>
Subject: Re: [ovs-discuss] OVS-DPDK IP fragmentation require

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Darrell Ball <dball at vmware.com<mailto:dball at vmware.com>> wrote:

From: Hui Xiang <xianghuir at gmail.com<mailto:xianghuir at gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:18 AM
To: Darrell Ball <dball at vmware.com<mailto:dball at vmware.com>>
Cc: "ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org<mailto:ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org>" <ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org<mailto:ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org>>

Blow is the diagram (using OVS-DPDK):

1. For packets coming to vm1 from internet where could have MTU 1500, there could be including some fragmented packets,
    how does the ALC/Security groups handle these fragmented packets? do nothing and pass it next which may pass the packets
    should be dropped or any special handling?

Lets assume the fragments get thru. the physical switch and/or firewall.

Are you using DPDK in GW and using OVS kernel datapath in br-int where you apply ACL/Security groups policy ?
All are using DPDK, the ACL/Security groups policy said is OVS-DPDK conntrack implementation.
With the case that we should have dropped some packets by creating special security group rules, but now due to they are fragmented and get thru by default, this is not what is expected.

I would check your configuration.
The dpdk connection tracker marks fragments as ‘invalid’ today and your rules should drop ‘invalid’.

2. For packets egress from vm1, if all internal physical switch support Jumbo Frame, that's fine, but if there are some physical swithes
    just support 1500/2000 MTU, then fragmented packets generated again. The ACL/Security groups face problem as item 1 as well.

For packets that reach the physical switches on the way out, then the decision how to handle them is at the physical switch/router
The packets may be fragmented at this point; depending on the switch; there will be HW firewall policies to contend with, so depends.

Here, again what I mean is the packets are fragmented by the physical switch/router, and they are switching/routing to a next node where has the OVS-DPDK set with security group, and OVS-DPDK may let them thru with ignoring the security group rules.

Sorry, you lost me a bit here; in point ‘2’ above you said packets are going from vm1 to internet and are fine until they hit the physical switch
Where you are assuming they are fragmented because the mtu is lower.
If this is not going to the internet but rather another set of nodes running dpdk, then this is another variation of ‘1’ and hence we don’t
need to discuss it.

[line image 1]