[ovs-discuss] 回复: ovs-ofctl add-meter command limit rate can work ?

Andy Zhou azhou at ovn.org
Fri Jun 2 20:21:49 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 2:17 AM, 爬山虎 <cxasm at qq.com> wrote:

> Thank you for you reply.
>
> Recently i have read the  meter patch which realized in  user mode space in
> detail. Especially the  "dp_netdev_run_meter" function.
>
> I don't think the implementation logical follow the openflow agreement.
>
> For example , command likes next:
>
> band=type=drop, rate=3000, burst_size= 4000
> band=type=drop, rate =5000, burst_size=6000
>
> The implementation logical in that patch is choose the minimum speed limit
> values , just always rate 3000 , and never have a chance to choose 5000.
> Because the bucket of band just as for the rate in band basically.  Is it
> like this ?
>
> If follow with the openflow agreement, first we must have a measured speed.
> This measured speed decide which band we to choose. In above example, if
> measured speed is 4500, must choose rate 3000; if measured is 6500, must
> choose rate 5000.

The current meter test only configures a single band. Since you are suspecting
there is a bug in supporting multiple band, it'd nice to see if the test can be
expanded to illustrate the issue. Do you mind working on expanding the test and
submitting a patch?  If the test can demonstrate the problem, we will fix it.

> We have too many questions about these . Even so , the next step our team
> need to implement such an algorithm in kernel mode. If you hava any news
> about meter, hope can tell us in advance.

I am currently investigating adding meter support in the kernel module. Since
OVS kernel module is part of the Linux kernel,, there is a constraint that
the solution has to be acceptable by the kernel networking community.