[ovs-discuss] enforce TLSv1.2 in OVN

Dominik Holler dholler at redhat.com
Tue Jun 6 15:30:07 UTC 2017

Hello,
We want to ensure that OVN uses only TLSv1.2, but not TLSv1 or TLSv1.1
in our scenario.

There are multiple connection, identified to be relevant:

- The tunneling data connection between the hypervisors/chassis, like
  geneve listening on UDP port 6081.

- The meta data connections:

 - The connections to the OVN Southbound DB, which is hosted by
   ovsdb-server and listening typically TCP port 6642. Connections
   may be initiated by from the ovn-controllers and ovn-northd.

 - The connections to the OVN Northbound DB, which is hosted by
   ovsdb-server and listening typically on TCP port 6641. Connections
   may be initiated by the Cloud Management System and ovn-northd.

Is it correct that encryption is not supported at all for the tunneling
data connection?

For the meta data connections ovsdb-server acts as the server.
ovsdb-server has the command line option --ssl-protocols, but I do not
understand how to apply this. ovsdb-server seems to be started by
ovn-ctl, but I do not recognize a way to utilize ovn-ctl to
pass the --ssl-protocols option.
How should the --ssl-protocols option passed to ovsdb-server?

Thanks and regards
Dominik