[ovs-discuss] VxLAN tunneling to/from an on-box VM with OvS?

Greg Rose gvrose8192 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 23:26:40 UTC 2017

On 06/07/2017 08:01 AM, Mark McConnaughay wrote:
> Hi, we have a use case to use OvS with VxLAN tunneling to a VM on the same box.
> It seems like this should work but I'm not able to configure it in OvS.
> I've been able to construct VxLAN tunneling b/w two OvS instances on two different machines and have VMs ping each other as is the
> normal use case and for tunneling to an on-box VM I've tried using an internal/isolated bridge with no physical ports, but to no
> avail. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this or if it is even possible? Thanks.

What is the use case for this?  The purpose of vxlan and other tunneling protocols is to make
physically distributed networks all appear to the user like they're on the same subnet. If both VMs
are in the same 'box' (i.e. physical machine) then they can talk across a local bridge.  Is it just
for testing/development purposes?

Thanks,

- Greg