[ovs-discuss] vhost-user multiqueue PMD RSS

Darrell Ball dball at vmware.com
Sun Jun 11 17:21:01 UTC 2017

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/configure-vhost-user-multiqueue-for-ovs-with-dpdk

From: <ovs-discuss-bounces at openvswitch.org> on behalf of Hui Jing <h.jingict at gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 5:04 AM
To: "ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org" <ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org>
Subject: [ovs-discuss] vhost-user multiqueue PMD RSS

Hi all,

I am new to OVS-DPDK and trying to figure out the mechanism of vhost-user multiqueue scenario. I understand that the PMD thread is created for polling the queues of vhost-user or physical NIC and the affinity bind PMD to queues. However, the PMD transmission side confused me, I would like to learn PMD thread mechanism and how it distributes traffic to different queues.

Let's consider this scenario: one PMD thread is responsible for two queues of one vhost-user, when packet destined to the vhost-user, how it decide which queue to trasmit? is there equivalence to RSS?
                                          =========
                                          |Rx Queue0|
Traffic ==>PMD thread ==>                      ==>Virtio Frontend in VM
                                          |Rx Queue1|
                                          =========
Thanks in advance
Best Regards,